The Uniontown Area High School Academics, Arts, and Athletics Hall of Fame was established in the Spring of 2013. The first class was formally inducted on October 26, 2013 at the Holiday Inn at a breakfast held for the occasion. This organization recognizes and honors the outstanding individuals and teams at that Uniontown Area High School has produced over the years. The Inductees have distinguished themselves and brought fame or recognition to the Uniontown Area High School through their outstanding accomplishments or contributions in academics, arts, or athletics. Honoring these individuals and teams also promotes a greater sense of school and community pride within the Uniontown Area School District.
|Tom George||Vice Chair|
|Jes Hutson||At Large|
|Chuck Machesky||Committee Chair|
|Mickie Deli||Committee Chair|
|Sal Mercadante||Committee Chair|
If you have any questions about the UHS Hall of Fame, don't be afraid to reach out.
The first school in Uniontown opened September 26, 1783 where the Fayette County Prison now stands, yards away from· where Henry Beeson announced the founding of the town at his mill in 1776.
A high school was established in 1885 on the third floor of the old Central School building (erected in 1868) at the northwest corner of Gallatin Avenue and E. Church Street. Professor A. M. Claybaugh was the first principal and Miss Ella Peach was the assistant principal. Young George Marshall spent some of his high school years there before transferring to a private school on Main Street.
A new building was eventually needed for the growing student enrollment, so property was purchased at 146 E. Fayette Street. Back in 1861. Camp Lafayette was located there at Hustead Field. The 85th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment organized there in late 1861 training for the Civil War where the William K. Power Stadium and the practice field now stand.
Andrew Cooper was the architect for the new high school. He would also design the new Central School building (1916) after the old school on East Church Street was torn down. The cost of the new high school was $90,975, with the heating and ventilation system costing $16,327.
There were 434 pupils on opening day, Monday, September 11, 1911: 46 seniors, 62 juniors, 103 sophomores, 58 commercials, and 165 freshmen. Opening exercises were later held on Tuesday morning, November 21, 1911. The school district superintendent in 1911 was C.J. Scott. Professor F.W. Wright was the first high school principal and Ella Peach was the assistant principal.
The original building at the corner of Fayette Street and Wilson Avenue had an auditorium and a gymnasium. The old auditorium stood where the enclosed courtyard between the 1911 building and the 1955 gymnasium now stands. The Hustead house east of the school on Fayette Street later became the home economics building. It was torn down in 1954 to make way for a new auditorium, cafeteria , and music room. The auditorium was later named for drama teacher Margaret Emelson. A brick house on Wilson Avenue housed the art department years later. The original gym was behind the old auditorium. It had a low balcony and was so inadequate that games had to be held up at Lafayette Junior High.
In 1929, the three-story "Sophomore Alley" was added to the school on Wilson Avenue. Another wing of classrooms and a natatorium were also added in 1980/81 on Fayette Street, including the Lowell C. Newman Industrial Arts Section.
Over the last century, Uniontown High School proved to be "The School of Champions" through many great sports teams and coaches. One name that stands out is A. J. Everhart. A. J. "Abe" Everhart, Sr. was a longtime coach at Uniontown High School and guided the Red Raiders to their first state championship in 1925. His grandson, A. J. "Joe" Everhart III (track and cross country coach) has the basketball from that game as well as one player's uniform. Thirty-seven years after that 1925 state championship, Coach Abe's son, A. J. "Abe" Everhart, Jr., won the 1962 PIAA game against Norristown in March, giving Uniontown its second state basketball championship. The 1955 gymnasium has been named the A.J. Everhart, Jr. Gymnasium.
Then in November of 1962, Coach William K. Power's Red Raiders Football Team won the WPIAL Class AA football title (without a playoff). The 1950 football stadium was later named after Coach Power. There have been other state championship sports teams and athletes since then.
During the 1960's, Uniontown High was first renamed Uniontown Joint Senior High School and then Uniontown Area Senior High School. The district includes the city of Uniontown, the boroughs of Ohiopyle and Markleysburg, and the townships of Stewart, Wharton, Henry Clay, Menallen, and Franklin.
Thirty years after the 1980/81 renovation, in 2010/11, the high school underwent another major renovation project. This included a new front entrance and stairwell between the 1911 section and the auditorium, a new back entrance, a new cafeteria, new classrooms, an auxiliary gym, more parking, and the renovation of all of the older sections including the enlargement of the main gym.
|Get in touch|
|Phone||(301) - 643 - 1499|
|Send us a message|